Chromebooks are most useful when they are connected to the internet. It is very easy to connect a Chromebook to a WiFi internet connection. Most Chromebooks do not include an Ethernet LAN port. To connect to an Ethernet connection, you will need to use a Chromebook Compatible USB Ethernet Dongle. It is very easy to use a Chromebook ethernet adapted to connect to a wired network.
Connect a Chromebook to Wifi
Most Chromebook users will be connecting to the internet via WiFi. Forunately, it is very easy in ChromeOS to connect to multiple WiFi networks to ensure that a Chromebook user always has an internet connection. Chromebooks can connect to any network with the following settings: Open networks that don’t require a password; Secure networks that use WEP, WPA-PSK, WPA-Enterprise, or WPA2-Enterprise settings; Standards: 802.11 a/b/g/n and 802.11ac for AC equipped Chromebooks
How to Setup a Chromebook with WiFi
There are two places where you can make changes to your wireless settings on a Chromebook. The most convenient route is through the status area in the bottom right-hand corner of your Chromebook’s shelf. This is where most of the Chromebook WiFi settings will be located.
Your Chromebook can connect to any network with the following settings:
- Open networks that don’t require a password
- Secure networks that use WEP, Dynamic WEP, WPA-PSK, WPA-Enterprise, or WPA2-Enterprise settingsWe recommend WPA2, as it is more secure than WEP or WPA.
- Standards: 802.11 a/b/g/n and 802.11ac for AC equipped Chromebooks
How to Connect to Wifi on Chromebook
- On the top right-hand side of the Chromebook desktop, click the Network button, and then select the ENABLE Wi-Fi option.
- The Wi-Fi button will replace the Network button.
- Right click the Wi-Fi button.
- A list of available wireless networks will appear. There should be a list of available Wi-Fi networks. Select the network you want to connect to. Your device gets automatically connected to the wireless network without entering the network password.
- The Join Wi-Fi network window will appear.
If you are using your Chromebook in a workplace that uses a proxy server, you may need to configure the proxy settings before you can establish an Internet connection.
Let the Chromebook keep attempting to connect to ulsecure and eventually it will assuming the credentials and configuration are correct. Sometimes it will connect immediately and more often it will connect in 10-20 minutes so keep trying.
The “trick” seems to be to keep the Chromebook from connecting to other networks and eventually it will connect. It may take several (over many minutes) iterations but it will connect.
How to Connect a Chromebook to a Restricted Network
Some administrators restrict network access to prevent outsiders from seeing private information on the network. You might need to give your MAC address to your administrator to use the network. To find your MAC address:
1. Turn on your Chromebook.
2. Click the status area, where your account picture appears.
3. Click the section that says Connected to and the name of your network.
4. At the top of the box that appears, pick your network.
5. In the window that opens, the MAC address is the Hardware address.
How to Connect a Chromebook to a WPA2 enterprise network
1. Click the status area, where your account picture appears.
2. Click Settings.
3. Under “Internet connection,” click Add connection > Add Wi-Fi > Advanced.
4. Enter your network credentials. In the “Server CA certificate” field, choose Default if your server certificate is already installed on your Chromebook. (You can check this by going to chrome://settings/certificates in your browser, then clicking Authorities.) If the server certificate isn’t installed, your administrator might ask you to install the server certificate. If you’re connecting to an EAP-TLS network, you might need to install the user certificate.
5. Click Connect.
Using a VPN on Wifi with Chromebook
A Virtual Private Network (VPN) connection is used to connect your Chromebook to a private network, for example at your workplace or at school. For detailed information about setting up a VPN connection, including steps to install certificates (if needed). More information on using a VPN with a Chromebook.
[…] secret is ensuring your printer and Chromebook are connected to the same internet. After that, you can go to settings and click on your printer. That should lead you to a printer […]
Thanks for this informative article. Have been searching for how to connect my chromebook to my office Wi-Fi. Thanks