Best Adblocker for Chromebooks

Best Adblocker for ChromebooksAdblock Plus is a tool that lets users block ads. Since ads fuel a lot of the content we enjoy for free online, finding common ground seemed to make sense. Adblock plus has compromised by letting some ads through that are permitted by their users. Even though that there are some limitations, adblockers will continue to be popular for computer users on all platforms (Chromebooks included). Fed up with pop-ups? These are the best ad blockers for Google Chromebooks.

uBlock Origin Ad Blocker Alternative

More info on uBlock Origin @ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UBlock_Origin & https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock

Extensions:

This is another adblocker that works on Chromebooks that is similar to Adblock Plus.

 

How does Adblock Plus work?

ABP has always been about blocking intrusive and malicious ads and allowing “acceptable” ads. Read theirAcceptable Ads Manifesto for more. What they’re doing is moving into an industry that already exists but has been underserved for their purposes. They want to accept “acceptable” ads, but existing ad curators aren’t consistently giving them good options, so they’ve moved into the curation industry. Google has curated ads for years, for example.

Adblock Plus Acceptable Ad Program

Here’s the difference between how ABP’s Acceptable Ads program worked before and how it’s going to work now (from the article): “The marketplace is a extension of the Acceptable Ads program that Adblock Plus has been running since 2011. Since then, the ad blocker has defaulted to ‘whitelisting’ approved ads, so that they show up even when users have the blocker turned on. But the program has been fairly limited in scope, since publishers and ad networks need to specifically work with (and pay) Adblock Plus to have their ads deemed acceptable. It’s a time-consuming process, Williams emphasized, which limits how many websites can sign up to display ads to would-be blockers. Adblock Plus hopes that, through this new marketplace, there’ll be a big expansion in the usage of Acceptable Ads. Because they’re already picked out and ready to go, any publisher will be able to sign up, plug some code into their website, and start running whitelisted ads.”

 

Opting out of Acceptable Ads on Ad Block Plus

You can still opt out of Acceptable Ads if you’re running ABP. In other words, you can run the extension and not participate in their monetization program. Like other ad curation services, ABP sends most of the ad revenue to the website where the ad is served: From the article: “Publishers will get to keep 80 percent of all ad revenue from marketplace ads, with the remaining 20 percent being divided between various other parties involved with serving the ads. Adblock Plus will receive 6 percent of total revenue.” Web hosting, website maintenance, and content creation are not free. Websites need to make money somehow, whether it be from ads or subscription services. ABP is trying to allow them to make money from ads while not interfering with the consumer’s ability to view content without distraction.

1 COMMENT

  1. Now, look for “advanced” option and click on it. You may have to scroll down a little. Under the “privacy and security” options, you will find “content settings”. As you tap it, it takes you to a new list of options. You should then look up for the “pop-ups” option.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here